A new work sharing stories and songs from Archie Roach’s award-winning memoir and companion album, Tell Me Why is an intimate, moving and often confronting account of his resilience, strength of spirit as well as a great love story. It’s an extraordinary odyssey of love, heartbreak, family, community, survival and renewal, showcasing the healing power of music.
Not many have lived as many lives as Archie, from stolen child, teenage alcoholic, seeker, lover, father, musical and lyrical genius, to social advocate and First Nations leader - but it took almost a lifetime to find who he really was.
He is Archie Roach.
In recent years, he faced the sudden death of his life partner and musical collaborator of 38 years, Ruby Hunter. He then went on to survive a debilitating stroke and lung cancer.
Forcibly removed from his loving parents, six siblings and community at the age of two, Roach’s early years were equally traumatic.
Tell Me Why, also the title of the companion album Bloodlines, considers Roach’s 18 song ‘magnum opus’, re-imagining 11 songs which have defined his extraordinary career. This includes two songs that were previously written but never recorded, two songs of early influence as well as three brand new recordings.
Roach voices joy, pain, and hope within these songs that he found on his journey to becoming the legendary singer, songwriter and storyteller that he is today; beloved and respected by fans worldwide.
Archie will be joined on tour by special guest, Sally Dastey, musicians Steve Magnusson, Sam Anning and Erkki Veltheim.
- Starring Archie Roach
- Special Guest Sally Dastey
- Musicians Stephen Magnusson, Sam Anning and Erkki Veltheim
- Image Adrian Cook
Proudly presented by Major Artistic Partner
Show Touring Partners
We have implemented a range of health, hygiene and physical distancing measures, in line with government guidelines. These measures include:
- The wearing of face masks is mandatory across all Geelong Arts Centre venues
- Hand sanitiser is available at hygiene stations in foyers and outside lifts and stairs
- Capacity signage throughout venue and studios to promote physical distancing
- Increased cleaning of all facilities
- Disinfection of seating and touchpoints before each performance
- Increased cleaning of foyer spaces and handrails
- Increased cleaning of bathrooms
- Sneeze guards at point of sale
- Foyer seating arranged to ensure 1.5m distancing
- Decreased capacities in theatres and foyers
- Staggered audience entry and exit in venues
- Physical distancing markers at queuing areas such as Food and Beverage outlets and Box Office
- Staff monitoring traffic flow and distancing